Re: [DotGNU]My Expression compiler : with Parrot support

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]My Expression compiler : with Parrot support
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:16:47 +1000

Gopal V wrote:

> As well as generates IL or Parrot code from the expression..
> It is a nice example for anyone trying to handle ASTs in
> compilers ... the nodes.tc is a simple & relatively clean example
> of a one pass codegeneration using trecc.
>
> See it a http://symonds.net/~gopalv82/code/expr_compiler.tgz

That was pretty cool Gopal.  You're reading my mind on how
to generate Parrot code.  I've also decided to generate imcc.
Let someone else worry about register allocation. :-)

I should have the "pm_output.h/c" files with the necessary primitives
and the object representation ready this week.  Then we can bang
through the node types together.

For other DotGNU people, some Parrot terminology so that you
know what we are talking about:

    pasm
        The raw Parrot assembly code.
    pbc
        Parrot bytecode.  The compiled form of pasm.
    imcc
        An intermediate language, similar to three-address code
        that abstracts the machine details to make writing compilers
        easier.  The "imcc" program converts this into pasm, after
        performing register allocation and various optimizations.
    PMC
        Parrot Magic Cookie.  A representation of a value, plus
        operations on that value.  Sort of like an object, but
        more for primitive engine objects than application-level
        classes.  We may need extra PMC's to represent C# concepts.
        Go see the Parrot docs for more info.