Re: [DotGNU]question about Finalize in C#

From: Ian Fung
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]question about Finalize in C#
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 21:24:38 -0400

On 9/4/02 7:05 PM, "Rhys Weatherley" <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I know what a short weak reference is. what is a long weak reference?
>
> Got me.  I always thought there were just "weak" and "strong". :-)
> If you saw it in an MS doc, then it may have something to do with
> incremental garbage collection, which we aren't currently using.
> Any GC experts care to comment?

after some digging, it seems as though a short weak reference does not keep
the object in the heap during a GC call. i think that a long weak reference
will, but am not sure for how long. maybe it keeps it around only for the
first Generation? not sure. does pnetlib have a boolean argument in its
constructor (WeakReference(obj, true/false) ? maybe its a by product of the
GC. even MS have different versions of the GC in its releases and its
constantly changing.  i was just wondering what the difference between em
was.

thx,

-alias