[DotGNU]Open-Source Movement's GPL

From: Çaðýl
Subject: [DotGNU]Open-Source Movement's GPL
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:53:39 -0700 (PDT)

Here is a typical response I get when I try to help people understand
"free-software" movement.

> Dear Cagil,
>
> Thank you for your letter. GPL is indeed a part of open-source
> movement. I am not sure what RMS is, but you can check this link:
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/index.html
> It provides the list of OSI approved licenses. The most popular
> open-source license is GPL.
>
> Best regards,
> Vlad Hveckovics
> Director

It is terrible. Especially the "GPL is indeed a part of open-source
movement. I am not sure what RMS is ..." part!

The problem is GPL is thought by a majority just as a popular
open-source license that is listed at the "opensource.org".
The links to ethics and freedom has been totally lost. FSF should
ask opensource.org to clearly distinguish GPL at its site, from
only-open-source licenses, giving credit to its Freedom aspects.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Cagil Seker
address@hidden
http://www.core.gen.tr