Re: [DotGNU](slashdot) Microsoft dumps hailstorm ?

From: Matthew C. Tedder
Subject: Re: [DotGNU](slashdot) Microsoft dumps hailstorm ?
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:02:40 -0700

> On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Norbert Bollow wrote:
>
> > A failure of "Passport" would/will(?) be a much more serious blow
> > to them.  Unless Microsoft succeeds with that, all their current
> > cash cows will die a slow and painful death through competition
> > from Free Software.  I would predict that if they have to, they
> > will use up to half of the money that they have in the bank on
> > trying to make "Passport" stick.  (The other half would be spent
> > on expanding into areas of business which are not so vulnerable
> > to competition from Free Software, such as all kinds of
> > entertainment.)

How can Passport die?  It virtually forces everyone who buys one of
the newer Microsoft products to sign up.  If no one else uses it then
it will still be there and Microsoft's products alone would have a
single sign-on.  With this, they will outcompete opponants and
thus force others to adopt it also.  The perceived implications of press
releases mean nothing in the face of brazen facts to the contrary.

--Matthew