Re: [DotGNU]Binary releases for Portable.NET

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Binary releases for Portable.NET
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:09:26 +1000

S11001001 wrote:

> 1. the new libffi no longer uses include/ffi_private.h. I think all the decls
> you use are in ffi.h now.

That's easy enough to change.  I'm not too worried about that.

> 2. ./configure looks for config-ml.in in ../../, and libtool in ../.

This is the annoying one.  I tried converting libffi late last
week and ran bang into this problem.  The libffi build system
is so intertwined with gcc's that it is very difficult to extract
it to be built and used independently.

I sent an e-mail to the primary libffi maintainer asking if there
was some recipe for extracting libffi.  No response as yet.

If someone, anyone, can figure out how to turn gcc's libffi
into a stand-alone version, then I'll be able to put it into pnet
in short order.

> 3. As configure.in stands, it requires a new version of autoconf (edited it
> and
> ran autoconf, missing macros, so did aclocal and screwed it up even more)

This actually isn't too bad, if we can figure out how to
extract libffi.  In pnet, libffi is treated as a foreign package
with its own configuration system.  If we can make it
build stand-alone, then we can generate the Makefile.in
and configure files with the correct autoconf version and
then check them in as-is.  Libgc is handled the same way.