Re: [DotGNU]Call for a truce over mono vs pnet

From: Adam Treat
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Call for a truce over mono vs pnet
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 17:38:31 -0800

> I'm not going to respond directly to that.  I want to defuse
> the situation and find a mutually-beneficial way to work
> together.  Re-escalating it into flames won't help.

Fine.

> I'm willing to let bygones be bygones.  My hand
> is out, but Miguel has to choose to shake it.  But
> let me be clear: the offer needs to be more than
> "We are happy to accept contributions".  My
> question has always been: "What are you willing
> to give up to have me help you?"

I simply fail to understand why either project should sacrifice anything.
All things being equal (ie licenses) the Free Software world is supposed to
be about code-sharing without restriction as long as both parties share and
share alike.  Right now, the relationship between Mono and pnet is a one-way
street, ie pnet can borrow Mono's code, but Mono can not borrow pnet's.
That's fine, since they are under different licenses, but to insinuate that
you'd change the license in exchange for Mono giving something up...  Well,
that betrays the fact that your choice of license isn't about philosophical
licensing issues (which would be fine if that were the case), but rather just
a tool to leverage Mono to 'give something up'.

Cheers,

Adam