[DotGNU]DotGNU task list

From: S11001001
Subject: [DotGNU]DotGNU task list
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:33:04 -0600

One of the problems with the GNU task list, I believe, is that it is not very prominent. However, I think that this sort of thing could be very useful to the DotGNU project, were it implemented well.

I have written a preliminary list of TODOs for DotGNU. The idea is that it starts out with generalizations, and subitems are added as people take the projects, for requests for help in certain areas of the code. This could encourage people to find an area that suits them; of course, at this stage, there's something for everyone.

It should be centrally coordinated, so people don't have to go off in search of individual project TODOs for work. This is the idea of a meta-project, coordinated effort, no?

Oh yeah, I wrote it in HTML, but a texinfo version, implementing the list as a table of contents, linking to nodes with more information, might be useful. (Barry, I find I actually enjoy texinfo. Am I weird? ;)

Please also note that this is VERY ROUGH, and not as defined as a true tasklist should be. For example, some of the details should be hashed out in the nodes, and the meaning of some of these clarified, and someone needs to go through the current system looking for TODOs...no end to the tasks!

<ul>

<li>pnetlib - an implementation of the ECMA standard Base Class Library. - currently maintained by Rhys Weatherly</li>

 <ul>
  <li>write regression tests</li>
 </ul>

<li>SEE - work on specification, maybe write it for us (node shows various discussed implementations, see what I'm getting at?)</li>

 <li>DEE - figure out exactly how this is supposed to work</li>

<li>PhpGroupWare (you know, this may be just me, but I haven't heard much about this project, and maybe this could attract some coders)</li>

 <li>help us figure out what the meaning of freedom is in an auth system</li>

 <li>cscc - maintained by Rhys Weatherly</li>

 <ul>
  <li>make it output IL</li>
  <li>Rhys puts various things that need work</li>
  <li>write regression tests</li>
 </ul>

 <li>Java language -> IL bytecode compiler</li>

 <li>the DotGNU development environment</li>

 <ul>
<li>choose one graphical toolkit, portable ((cyg)Win, Mac (don't be too concerned about anything under OS X), and of course GNU), (L)GPL, to run all of these</li>
  <li>graphical debugger</li>
  <li>project file manager - manages compilation, etc.</li>
  <li>personal task manager (TODO)</li>
  <li>program for writing/viewing a manual, WYSIWYG, in Texinfo</li>
  <ul>
   <li>must be able to parse and write (no new file formats)</li>
<li>perhaps support DocBook as well (there is a docbook2texinfo program, I think)</li>
   <li>the viewing version will be included in user distribution?</li>
  </ul>
<li>program for setting up an internet presence, coordinating free software development</li>
  <ul>
   <li>easy graphical CVS (not a million buttons like WinCVS)</li>
   <li>Savannah?</li>
   <li>mailing lists</li>
   <li>patch management</li>
   <li>release packaging / RPM/deb creation</li>
  <li>communication between these programs (put ideas in tree)</li>
 </ul>

<li>tutorials and manuals, libs and langs as used with this platform (DotGNU specific)</li>

 <ul>
  <li>C# as used with DotGNU</li>
  <li>Java</li>
  <li>BCL</li>
  <li>Java API</li>
  <li>various GNU extensions</li>
  <li>other features of the IDE</li>
 </ul>

</ul>

--
Seriously, the way I did this was by using a special /sbin/loader binary
with debugging hooks that I made ("dd" is your friend: binary editors