Re: [DotGNU] How do I start contributing

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU] How do I start contributing
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:48:40 +0530

If memory serves me right, Sarath B Nair wrote:
>    I guess this mail is not just for Tarasov, but for all of us here...
        Yep.

>    I am a VC++,C++ Bulder, and Delphi programmer. I know some Linux
> programming..
>
>    My only probem is that i cant connect to net via cvs to get the patches
> directly.
        My problem exactly. I have net access at college which is severely
firewalled thanks to our efforts to try out new things like NIMDA on
the IIS servers there.

        If you happen to have a GNU box and a firewall which allows
HTTPS access (443) you can subvert (pardon the pun) your fascist
firewall using the subversions.gnu.org CVS server which also
listens to port 443. But if you are heavily firewalled and HTTP
proxied as I am, you are among one of the sorry lots. So I just
have to do all my work at home from my dialup.

        In the end, if you are using a M$ box, you could as well get
cygwin and use it for CVS'ing this stuff. But anyway you still
have one option left. Pnet releases happen often and you could
request a nightly build feature for DotGNU so that everyday a
*.tgz file with corresponding date is packaged and placed in a
known repository. Look at WINE's <www.winehq.org> nightly builds
to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

        So if more people without CVS access start working on DotGNU
we'll have to consider this sooner or later. But hey wait, there
could be a patch-mailing list which automails diffs everyday say
at 1200 GMT.

        Also another question, Sarath are you stationed in Kerala ?

Gopal.V

> This communication contains information, which is confidential and may also
> be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If
> you are not the intended recipient(s), please note that any distribution,
> printing, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is
> please notify the sender immediately and then destroy any copies of it.
Oh ! man, I shall start putting the full FDL below my mails (just joking :)

--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success