RE: [DotGNU]The Java Project Spectrum

From: Sarath B Nair
Subject: RE: [DotGNU]The Java Project Spectrum
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:46:45 +0530

Think,java support problem is an instance of problem "How to support
Languages(Byte Codes)"

In this parlance what we are doing now is to write a plug-in for the C# to
the main system.

This is what my Unix shell does.

#/usr/bin/csh
calls csh to execute my script
#/usr/bin/perl
calls perl to exeute my script

This is what my real player does when it finds unknown media.

Contacts the site for plug-in's

So what I means  to say is, could we define an interface to a plug-in so
that, system gets the thing-that-runs-it (details deferred) when it does not
know what to do with a new input. It could be source code or some complied
output.

Pros
1.      This will be truly open.
2.      Lot of people will find it easy to port their RAD tools to DotGNU.
3.      Lot of people will find it easy to port their executable formats to
DotGNU.
Cons
1.      If I was a bad guy, first thing I would do is write a bad plug-in
for the most-used language and infect all the systems. (So we need security,
like signature or something or define the interface in which it is not
possible to do bad things)

Just a bubble in my brain....

Regards
sarath

This communication contains information, which is confidential and may also
be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If
you are not the intended recipient(s), please note that any distribution,
printing, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is
please notify the sender immediately and then destroy any copies of it.