Re: [DotGNU]Re: Java and Portable.NET

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: Java and Portable.NET
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 19:19:59 +0530

> Only those that are intending to run Java IL programs on CLR's.
        Java IL Programs ... (that's a good one !)

> Classpath, like all Java libraries, assumes that certain
> methods are provided by the VM in the form of native
> methods.  These native methods won't exist in a pure
> IL environment.  However, it should be possible to do
> the following:

        This just brings up a new question. can we add "Java (tm)" (sic)
support to Pnet ?. The SUN Java implementation requires JNI support.
(remember M$ vs SUN Lawsuit).

        The same goes for the VM support. So I guess Norbert's idea of
"SEE JVM Plugin" has lesser potential legal problems.

        Anyway we would be better off having such an multi-pronged
approach. Also the Mono project is YA CLR, not a .NET replacement.
(IMHO that's why M$ doesn't see mono as a threat).

Gopal.V
--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success