[DotGNU]CLR and Hardware Lockins (slashdot.org)

From: Gopal.V
Subject: [DotGNU]CLR and Hardware Lockins (slashdot.org)
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 05:13:10 +0530

Hi Guys,

------------------OFFTOPIC SLASH HERE---------------
        The paranoia of the slashdot crowd about M$'s
current steps towards hardware independence. And
various digressions into RIAA , Music Piracy, Hardware
vendor lockins, Xbox, NT's HAL , Visual J++, Sun J2EE ,
Posix, SOAP, .NET REMOTE, Bios Crypto, Visual Basic,
GPL'd Hardware, Bloatware (eXPerimetal), Vaporware
(NT-Alpha), DCMA, Total Control and World Domination.

and .NET (I almost forgot that).

        Is microsoft trying an IBM ("I've been Moved" ),
by trying to produce the hardware for their products and
try to extend their monopoly to a new arena
(forget WinModems. WinProcessors anyone ?)

Is microsoft using the DCMA to prevent the porting of any
(free/propreitary) software to XBox
(M$ Box, but you don't know what's inside till ..*kaboom* !).

<Bill  : I'm gonna conquer the hardware industry !>
<Others: Yeah, you and what army ?>
<Bill  : ME and My 40 Billion.....>
<Others: Uhoh!>

Looks like the next XP will run on DotGNU !. Will I have to
call it DotGNU/XP ?

The benevolent attitude of Microsoft towards Mono and
Miguel's interview on MSDN shows that soon Gnome 3.0
will be written in C# and be portable on Windblows(thatway).

There are excellent indications that the next M$ initiative
will be to recruit Linus Torvalds to write a code-morphing
layer for VLIW instructions from CLI code. The Transmeta
corportation will become the next ACE up microsoft's
already bloody sleeve. (..that guy's good,...buy them all...)

Microsoft has invented the idea of a whole operating system
that uses a VM. (oops, Bill Gates never got to the grade
where they taught about VMS). But anyway since DOS ran better
on VMS, so M$ yXEs should run better on CLR.

Due to some sick twisted mind in microsoft's marketing department,
they have realized that the slower an OS becomes the more it sells.
Slower the PC, faster they dump. People buying more PC's mean
more OEM income....So you see it all adds up to why 98 crashes
so much.

You really should not worry about microsoft taking total control
because they are *so* error-prone. But anyway _Freedom_ will be
ensured by projects like echelon,magic lantern....... Any way
you gotta "Endure Freedom".

What Microsoft doesn't make hardware now ?. Then where did that Mouse
and Mousepad come from ? (-- Average John Doe User)

What do you mean anti-trust ?. I sell desktop packages, but sure adding
Galeon to a Desktop is not a Crime !. I say, ...it's quite well integrated.
What do you mean ? icons on the desktop have to be removed ?. It's for
the user's convenience.... But, I....Yes, the... Ok, I'm going to give
it away free for anyone....What do you mean "that makes it even worse".

---------------STOP SLASHING AND READ ON---------------

        Seriously, this is about the hardware independence
CLR gives to developers and the business strategy behind
this. Also the half-standards Microsoft is providing, ie
the API's are not standardized.

Ps: anybody who regards my comments as pure s**t or flamebait
    can consider reading the slashdot comments themselves!.
--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success