Re: [DotGNU]question on pnetlib property

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]question on pnetlib property
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 08:55:23 +1000

S11001001 wrote:

> What is the purpose of System.IO.StringWriter.Encoding {get;}? I can't
> decipher
> it from AllTypes.

Some higher level code (e.g. XML) uses it to determine what
character set encoding is being used by an underlying text
stream.  e.g. if XML is writing to a UTF-8 encoded stream,
it needs to put in a different header than if it is writing to
a Latin-1 encoded stream.  As near as I can tell, the correct
behaviour for StringWriter is to return an instance of the
"UnicodeEncoding" class.

> Also, would this question better go on Savannah? Maybe I should've answered
> that one myself...

"What the heck is it?" questions are more appropriate for the
mailing list.  This way, the mailing list archives can be grep'ed
for answers to previously-asked questions.  Savannah should
be used for actual bugs and patches.