RE: [DotGNU] Gzipped XML (was: Disadvantages of XML) - BXML

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: RE: [DotGNU] Gzipped XML (was: Disadvantages of XML) - BXML
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 18:39:06 +0000 (UTC)

Actually, this could be quite useful in SEE/the auth projects...
transmitting gzipped XML could be one of the solutions to the bandwidth
problem of programs communicating over networks... however, the tradeoff
is that applying this concept to live network communications increases the
CPU cycles used in operating an app.  This could be a very good trade-off
given the existance of exceedingly fast CPUs out there.

Another advantage of using gzip to compress the XML, as opposed to a
homebrew compression system is that gzip could be easily turned on/off by
an administrator.

        -Barry