Re: [DotGNU]Disadvantages of XML

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Disadvantages of XML
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 13:04:23 +0100

Gopal.V <address@hidden> wrote:

> - But can we make Gzipped XML a standard ?

I think we can.

> - XML specific compressions can be introduced
>   ie pseudo-lossive compressions which take into
>   consideration the white-space and similar redundant
>   attributes of XML (comments ?)

I think it unlikely that any gains from this would offset the
added complication

> - XML parsers are too generic to be efficent
>   for a lean mean parser.

In situations where is this really matters, you can always
implement a specialized but highly efficient verifier-parser for
a specific DTD, or class of DTDs.

> * The Presentation Aspect
> - How is XML converted to presentation ?

I'm not sure this can be done in full generality with decent
usability.

> - Imagine a set of XML tags defined in UTF-8 (eg in
>   Korean) what use is that for interoperability.

Make all tags easy-to-understand to anyone who understands
English.  Anything else is bad for interoperability with
programmers and sysops outside your particular culture :-)

> - XML needs an agreement (in ideas) between the two
>   trasferer/transferee to be useful. ie one of them
>   has to lead the way and the other has to follow.

Sure.  Isn't this a general property of procedures for
exchanging data?

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com