Re: [DotGNU]Distributed Savannah(was: phpGW and DotGNU)

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Distributed Savannah(was: phpGW and DotGNU)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:12:46 +0100

Gopal.V <address@hidden> wrote:

>       phpGroupWare is great but for a project management and development
> service, I believe Savannah is better. Personally I was blown away when
> phpGW showed the current weather at Thriuvanthapuram correctly ( I later
> learnt that the `VOTV' metar is used ). Savannah has no need or use for
> such services. So rather than hacking phpGW into a Savannah clone, we
> should plan things so that when you visit your profile @ Savannah,
> It retrieves the data/VCard using XMLRPC from your phpGW profile.
> And conversely, let you see mentions/comments of your latest project
> @Savannah in your online resume @ phpGW. [ Sorry if this seems redundant ]

If the phpGroupWare folks are agreeable to this, then perhaps it
would be possible to devide the phpGroupWare package into a
number of packages, which each implements one webservice component,
plus one package which combines all those webservice components
into the phpGroupWare webservice application?

Most or all of the other components that Savannah needs exist
already, implemented by a variety of projects in a variety of
languages.  So I think we should work with those projects to
make them usable as webservice components via XMLRPC.  Then the
Savannah package only needs to contain the code for combining
all those webservice components into a webservice application
for managing software development projects.

What does everyone think about this?

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com