Re: [DotGNU]Python (was: Defining Webservices => Language)

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Python (was: Defining Webservices => Language)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 20:12:41 +0530

Hi,
        Sorry for being late on this, but my exams are going on.
> How does the performance of Python's own run-time engine compare
> to compiling Py to Java class files, then compiling those with
> gcj and running the resulting Java bytecode with one of the Free
> VMs?

        The python to java class unfortunately has not mapped the APIs
for some of the common python libraries. For example the gtk libs.
It would require extensive wrapping/mapping. My experience has been
that Py=>Java works fine for command line apps. The DOM XML parser
shows a far better performance. String operations too are faster.
Since I started using python for GTK programs ( gladexml :-), I
do not find the jython very useful. But the server (socket) programming
is fast using class files. Similarly I have been playing around SWIG for
plugging in native into python . It works fine for python, but Jython
does not support SWIG.

> Would we gain performance by making Python's run-time engine
> available as a plugin for SEE, just like we have plugins planned
> already for handling Java bytecode and CLRs?
        We would actually lose some performance, by the verification in
the SEE as well as in the runtime. But we would gain a lot of flexibility
as well as access to a larger programming community.
--
Happy Deepavali.
    /^\
  |   *