Re: [DotGNU]MS Exchange and .NET

From: tali streit
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]MS Exchange and .NET
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 19:25:54 +1000

As far as I can tell, Hailstorm is about setting a single file format standard, on a microsoft server. Then, functions are provided to access this data, including integration with apps such as exchange.

While reading this, my mind went straight to viruses. As Bruce (McCleave) just posted, there are some concerns. How can you stop a virus/worm? The idea is that we want all applications to be nicely integrated services... but imagine popping up a window everytime some bit of code wants to send an email... As far as I can tell, .NET is ActiveX. Big problem with ActiveX is that it is opaque - you don't know what it is capable of.

But we have a Secure Execution Environment! i hear you call :) how do we stop worms from communicating within the laws of the secure execution environment?

Sorry, got off track there...

I think we will see MS merge:

MS-SQL, Exchange and Office,

to provide storage through generic interfaces for:

email & scheduling, text documents, spreadsheet & graphing

as well as user-defined data exposed through an interface of some sort.

this would "leverage" all of their "technologies" to force them into the server market.

Bill Lance wrote:

What MS's plans are for Exchange and .NET

http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2001/1001webservice.html