dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]Use in High security environments

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [Auth]Use in High security environments
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 23:57:46 -0400

Dave Harvey wrote:

> I'm a newcomer to this list, from a medical computing background.  One of
> the issues finally to be faced soon in the medical world with widespread
> elecronic medical records at least within sight now is secure access.
> Autentication is an absolute nightmare even within an institution, let alone
> between (as is often required for emergency access).  What will eventually
> be required is a secure distributed system, based on trust relationships
> between departments (and eventually organisations), with complex access
> rights which will normally be based on personal categories, but with
> multiple allow/deny over-rides.
>
> Is the DotGNU Virtual Identities system likely (eventually) to be able to
> help here, or are the aims limited to a more limited "passport" type role?
>
> Dave Harvey
> Medical Connections

Yes, much of our network architecture should be able to cater to things
like this.  How much of this type of functionality will be available in
the first release, I can't say at this moment.  However, our rules
system should allow our information servers to interact between
department types without being promiscuous.

        -Barry