dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]Draft Spec: Implementation of Gelernter Cyberbodies

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [Auth]Draft Spec: Implementation of Gelernter Cyberbodies
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 03:42:25 +0200

Carsten Kuckuk <address@hidden> wrote:

> This draft solves the problem of distributed storage,
> untrustworthy registrar servers, and access from everywhere.
> [..]
> What do you think?

Very interesting.

My main concern is that the user of this system, in order to
have access from everywhere, needs to take with him four items
of information (two URLs, a username, and a password), while a
user of Microsoft's "Passport" system only needs to know a
username and password.

Is there any way in which this system could be modified so that
the users only needs to remember one URL plus a username plus a
password?

> Storing a modified Cyberbody:
> c->s: GET
> HTTP://www.server.com/dotnet/czberbody/put.php?u=username&p=password&v=35&body=XXXXXXX
> s->c: OK
> (Like a form with parameters "u", "p", "v" and "body")
> If the user is known and the password is correct, and the version number
> is higher or equal to the highest version number stored in the database,
> the new version is stored in the database, and the oldest version is
> deleted from the database.

Two minor comments follow:
a) HTTP GET is not supposed to be used for this kind of data
   modification.  Use HTTP POST instead.
b) This is not reliable enough.  In case of network problems
   with the connection to server2, the two servers can easily
   get out of sync.  I'm sure you'll be able to come up with a
   solution to this problem though.

> Command 4: version++; create sequences r and s;
> server1->Put(user,pwd,version,r); server2->Put(user,pwd,version,s);
> End Loop

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet  (near Zurich, Switzerland)
Your own domain with all your Mailman lists: $15/month http://cisto.com