dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]Re - [Auth} A simple server-side authentication scheme

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [Auth]Re - [Auth} A simple server-side authentication scheme
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:31:14 +0200

Carsten Kuckuk <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think you're making the second step before the first: you want
> an extremely reliable system without any design flaws in the first
> version? Reliable enough to make commercial transactions where the
> developers that did everything in their spare time run the risk
> of being sued if some commercial transactions did not work out
> correctly?

I think you make a very good point here.  A point that supports
Ron's proposal of doing it with browser plugins.

> Why not go for something less critical, but with much higher
> visibility like e-mail management, file storage, discussion
> boards, mailing list management, workgroup support like calenders?

Because the ecommerce market is the one market that really
matters, and Microsoft is targeting it aggressively.

> > For systems with rely on a small number of servers, Microsoft
> > has big advantages.  I see no reason to believe that we could do
> > it better than Microsoft can, in this area.
>
> Open-source hobbyist on the other hand have a lot of servers at
> their disposal which are ideal for distributed storage of identity
> information if a fault-tolerant system can be worked out.

Yes.

> If you stick with LAMP architecture on the server side, the system
> can be rolled out right now on millions of servers.

Please explain LAMP architecture, and how we can "roll out a system
right now on millions of servers."  That sounds exciting.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet  (near Zurich, Switzerland)
Your own domain with all your Mailman lists: $15/month http://cisto.com