dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]A simple serverside authentication scheme

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [Auth]A simple serverside authentication scheme
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 19:17:36 +0200

Nick Lothian <address@hidden> wrote:

> Many people here doubt it is possible to come up with a serverside
> authentication scheme that is easier to implement than a browser-plugin.
> Here's my attempt (after 5 minutes thought):
> [..]
> Obviously, there are issues - particully the decentralisation aspects - but
> it is a system that would work and could be implemented very quickly.

Don't overlook the problem that this approach requires
server-side resources (such as bandwidth, hardware, sysadmin
time).

We need an approach that can quickly scale to a significant
percentage of all ecommerce transactions - anything else is not
a suitable strategy for reaching the goal of getting a
significant maerketshare quickly.

Microsoft has a server-side system and they haven't succeeded in
making it work reliably yet.

For systems with rely on a small number of servers, Microsoft
has big advantages.  I see no reason to believe that we could do
it better than Microsoft can, in this area.

But for programs which are used on many computers by many
different people, there we have the advantage, because a
significant percentage of the users help with making the program
better - that's a power that Microsoft doesn't have.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet  (near Zurich, Switzerland)
Your own domain with all your Mailman lists: $15/month http://cisto.com