dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]The simplest thing that can possibly work

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [Auth]The simplest thing that can possibly work
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 08:33:17 +0200

Ron Burk <address@hidden> wrote:

> The only reason Passport has not already won the server-side
> installed base war is that it requires an SDK. A web page flunky
> cannot single-handedly start using Passport -- they have to get
> help/permission from an administrator. If dotGNU starts
> out with similar requirements, good luck ever catching up. If you
> want to do something grand, you better do something really
> simple and useful ASAP to get your foot in the door, IMO.

Ron makes a very important point here.  The quick-and-dirty
first incarnation of DotGNU Virtual Identities must be something
where the server-side component can be set up without any
assistence from the server administrator.

*Many* business websites are operated on hosting services where
the company which operates the server will never install DotGNU
server-side softwhere before there is overwhelming demand from
customers.

PLEASE, for the next few weeks everyone on this list should work
together on implementing the kind of simple system that Ron is
talking about.  That is the purpose for which this list has been
created.  (Having some discussions of more complicated long-term
plans is not wrong, but please let's keep them low volume, so
that they don't get into the way of implementing the quick-and-dirty
Passport replacement.)

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet  (near Zurich, Switzerland)
Your own domain with all your Mailman lists: $15/month http://cisto.com