dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] OEM type 236 for HPe Gen10(+) servers

From: Jerry Hoemann
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] OEM type 236 for HPe Gen10(+) servers
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 18:13:27 -0700

On Mon, Nov 09, 2020 at 06:29:33PM +0100, Erwan Velu wrote:
> Thanks Jerry,
> Would it be possible to get the definition of the other fields including why
> we
> have different structure sizes ?

Erwan,

Different generation of Proliants will support different versions
of an OEM record.  Usually, fields are added to the end an OEM record
and the value in the length field is increased to reflect this.
So a decode should take into account the length field and not
display records beyond it (see hp OEM type 219 as an example.)

For type 236, Gen10+ actually deprecated three fields.

I plan to send a corrected patch addressing the extra fields
next week.

Jean,

We are looking at adding decodings for more of our OEM records.
Exact ones are TBD.

Would you be okay if I sent you a patch to order the switch
table in dmi_decode_hp()?  That will make future readings of
the code easier.

Thanks

Jerry

Jerry Hoemann                  Software Engineer   Hewlett Packard Enterprise