Re: Reminder!!! GNUstep meeting 12:30-1:30est

From: Liam Proven
Subject: Re: Reminder!!! GNUstep meeting 12:30-1:30est
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 11:53:28 +0100

On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 at 11:28, Gregory Casamento
<greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

> Noted.  I will do that next time. I suppose I made the mistake of thinking
> that timezones were a universal concept.

Timezones are. US timezones aren't. It's only in my mid-40s I even had
to start learning the names of the US ones, because US colleagues in
big companies kept using them under the assumption we all knew. We
didn't. I have never lived or worked in the US and don't want to.

> For reference I believe right now it’s UTC-4 because of the additional
> silliness of daylight savings time.

+1 to that

> I am not sure why you felt need for the pointless straw-man argument about
> Fahrenheit, I got what you were saying.

It's not just you and this was nothing personal. The FreeDOS people do
the same. Both Red Hat and SUSE did the same internally.

A few years I bought the UK English edition of a pop science book from
one of my favourite webcomics writer/artists, Zach Weinersmith.

It exclusively used only feet, pounds, fahrenheit etc. throughout. I
was bitterly disappointed, said so on Twitter, and he responded, very
negatively.

I understand feet and miles. I follow a single Youtube channel, a
Canadian motorcycling one, and it uses SI for mass and imperial for
distance, and that is a British thing too.

I don't understand ºF. I do not know what a nickel is. It's a metal to
me. I do not know how much a dime is. I know they are coins. I do not
know the denomination. And yet multinationals use these as if they
were universal. e.g. Nickelodeon. They aren't.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven@gmail.com