Re: Installing GNUstep from FreeBSD ports, again

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Installing GNUstep from FreeBSD ports, again
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:22:34 +0000

> On 16 Feb 2024, at 11:05, Sergei Golovin via Discussion list for the GNUstep
> programming environment <discuss-gnustep@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> By the way it is strange that Gorm was installed in the
> SYSTEM_DOMAIN. My installation goes into
> <...>/Local/Applications/Gorm.app (that is LOCAL_DOMAIN).

If this is the official FreeBSD package, then it should go in the system
domain;  that's what the system domain is for.
Things you build for yourself typically get installed in the local domain (this
is the default) ... unofficial but available to all users of the machine.
Things intended for your personal account only, you should install to the user
domain.

Lookup to find software normally goes in the reverse order; so if you try to
run Gorm,  your user's copy is preferred, but if there isn't one, the local
copy is used, and if there isn't one of those, the system copy is used.