GNUstep web browser based on netsurf

From: Paul Seelig
Subject: GNUstep web browser based on netsurf
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 21:57:49 +0100

Hello everybody,

since a google search for neither "netsurf site:lists.gnu.org" nor "websurf site:lists.gnu.org" did result in any findings, it could be suspected that nobody seems to be aware of an existing GNUstep port of the netsurf browser.

I already accidently stumbled over it a few weeks ago while searching for a GNUstep based web browser other than Vespucci or the GSDesktop variant of the Chromium wrapper:

https://github.com/anthonyc-r/netsurf-gnustep/

It took quite a few tries to get it to compile and the resulting GNUstep application appears to be rather lacking in functionality, but it somewhat works at least as a proof of concept.

But today i found, again by pure chance, a much enhanced fork of this variant renamed to "websurf", and outside of github, and it appears to be surprisingly advanced:

https://vcs.vera-visions.com/eukara/WebSurf

For two screenshots of the current version, please see:

https://wmlive.rumbero.org/Websurf.png
https://wmlive.rumbero.org/Websurf_Narcissus.png

While i am not really convinced of netsurf being a very practical web browser, this GNUstep variant definitely is already quite an achievement.

I wonder how many more GNUstep applications out there in the internet exist hidden from general awareness ...

Regards,
Paul