Re: Brutal review…

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Brutal review…
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 07:11:40 +0200

> Am 18.10.2023 um 00:15 schrieb Daniel Boyd <danieljboyd@icloud.com>:
>
> Yeah you're right -- that was oversimplifying.
>
> I think you need several metapackages
>
> metapackages for running gnustep apps
> gnustep -- synonym for gnustep-clang (at least I think that should be the
> default)

No, if you apt install lxde or xfce4 or mate or ... it is simply a metapackage
not for running apps but a full preconfigured desktop including some default
setup and apps like Terminal, web browser. That is the best user experience.

So it should be a package that installs gnustep desktop eonvironment. I.e.
base, gui, gap apps, etc. which can be grouped in other metapackages (e.g.
gnustep-core, gnustep-gap)

And then there should be gnustep-dev for being able to develop packages. Which
will be best developer experience.

> gnustep-gcc
> gnustep-clang
>
> metapackages for developing gnustep apps
> gnustep-dev (installs gnustep-clang-dev)
> gnustep-gcc-dev
> gnustep-clang-dev
>
> And then that way if you're developing an app that requires libobjc2, you can
> just add gnustep-clang as a dependency. (I'm not sure gcc/clang is the best
> approach. objc1/objc2 might be better...? Regardless, I think you name it
> whatever would be most obvious to someone new to the project.)
>
>> On Oct 17, 2023, at 4:39 PM, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Daniel Boyd wrote:
>>>
>>> Project goal should be for the instructions to get a working gnustep
>>> environment (in Debian) to be as simple as:

>> that's oversimplifying, but something along a couple of virtual packages
>> like "gnustep core" "gnustep development" "gnustep games" "gnustep net
>> apps" (if we had more than gnumail...)could do.
>> A "gnustep full" is a bit overkill, but for whom wants it would be also
>> easy to do. I don't know how xfce or gnome do things nowadays, because I
>> always go the "cherry-pick" route there too.

They do it all the overkill way :)

>> These would just pull in the proper selection of packages which should
>> be separately available. Not even that hard, even on debian. Debian has
>> most stuff already, except some long-standing missing things.
>>
>> With our private repo, even easier then. A thing to remember would be to
>> make them incompatible with the offical debian packages or something
>> similar, do be sure that they don't get mixed up.

It is easy to mix public and private repos.

Just my 2cts

-- hns