Re: GNUstep on Hackernews

From: Gustavo Tavares
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Hackernews
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 16:35:41 -0400

Hi Greg,

Happy you like the idea of the Download / Fast Script version.

As an example of what I have in mind is RunKit.com—which happens to have been made by Tolmasky—a fellow Objective-C lover. His work on promoting Cappuccino and Cocoa did not see widespread commercial success but via Open-Source we can learn from what worked and what  lessons he may be applying in his future work. I think there is a lot to learn and GNUstep could benefit tremendously by targeting a "similar" audience.

Now what would that "similar audience" be? It would be people near the bottom of my "GNUstep" user funnel.

1 - Worst: Does not know about GNUstep.
2 - Not as bad: Knows about GNUstep but thinks the project won't compile or work without a whole lot of hassle. (For example, does not know that there are 1 file scripts which will install everything perfectly om Ubuntu.)
3 - Even less bad: Knows more or less that GNUstep will work with minimal effort and that it can deliver a good app.
4 - An inch better: Uses a Mac (or Windows) as a daily driver and logs into a remote computer with Ubuntu command line—and a GNUstep installation.
5 - Slighly better: Uses a Mac (or Windows) as a daily driver and logs into a remote computer with an Ubuntu GUI and a GNUstep installation. May use one or two GNUstep apps.
6 - Better: Uses Ubuntu GUI for development and many GNUstep applications.
7 Best: Uses GUI based on NEXTSpace work and the main GNUstep application including File Browser, etc.
8 - God-Level: Contributes to GNUstep.

To my mind, levels 2/3/4 are perhaps what should be addressed in the "Hero" section next bulltets.

Now—all levels will be on the home page—it just so happens that the would be addressed via a link or something like—"Did you know—GNUstep also provides you with a workspace for development. Check it out here."

I think these changes on the homepage could double or triple the number of people who have compiled a GNUstep program and that would be a huge success. Plus this narrower vision would do wonders for the workspace as more people are already on the ladder.

One more thing to keep in mind. Apple is no longer marketing Cocoa to Devs with a high priority. Swift and SwiftUI are the things they are selling. GNUstep needs to pick up that mantle.

Ricardo—I don't think we are dissimilar in our vision—I just think that if we sequence things the right way and in the right manner—more people will go further with this awesome project. And that would be awesome for us all.

Crossing my fingers GNUstepl :)

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021, at 3:25 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Hi Gustavo,

Gustavo Tavares wrote:
> The Distribuition is a big cherry on top which to my eye, distracts
> from the power offered by the DevKit.
>
> This is the best DevKit.

you just proved what I wrote long ago. GNUstep has many souls: it is a
DevKit. It is the basis of a possible (or more than one) Desktop and
even a distribution.
Everyone wants to "see" it presented in one way or the other.

That's why I and others ("we") have choosen to be neutral: all aspects
are presented and you can choose the one you prefer.

Personally, I like it to be a Workspace environment and I have great
plans for it, but I don't want to force that on anybody, also because my
views of a Desktop are different from others that are pursuing it; yet
there is so much in common that can be done that it is just best to do it.

Riccardo