Re: Dock app using distributed objects

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Dock app using distributed objects
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 10:08:03 +0000

> On 7 Dec 2021, at 08:48, Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Riccardo,
>
> Firstly, the dock is visually appealing, full marks. :)
>

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 3:03 PM Riccardo Canalicchio
> <riccardo.canalicchio@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have been thinking about how to have a live image representation of an app
> for a dock application and I wanted to try with distributed objects.
>
> But, secondly, I believe there is another, more lightweight, way that can be
> used to do this aside from DO.  The issue I see here is requiring every app
> to do it this way.  If you look in NSApplication you will see a reference to
> NSIconView and NSIconWindow.  These classes display the changing icon in
> WindowMaker (this is not an endorsement of wmaker, I would like a GS based
> Dock outside of GWorkspace as well).  So, perhaps, it is possible to do this
> without using Distributed Objects.   This is only a suggestion, I like where
> you're going.

Yes ... I remmber from many, many years ago (way back when I was working on the
GUI) I had this working as it worked in NeXTstep:  the miniwindow used to be a
fully functional window that a NeXTstep app could write into while it is in the
dock.  This was used to create visual indicators, in the dock, of the state of
an application.

I also recall being annoyed because Apple removed this functionality from OSX
and replaced it with a different mechanism (much more limited and less
technically satisfying, but a simpler way to achieve a similar effect in
practice), though I don't recall the details.  I'm pretty sure we moved to
match the OSX implementation.  I expect this is what WindowMaker is working
with.