Re: Warning with clang, error with gcc : attached files

From: Bertrand Dekoninck
Subject: Re: Warning with clang, error with gcc : attached files
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 16:34:26 +0200

On 2019-04-29 14:26:45 +0200 Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

Hi,

the "error" comes from this :
themeControlState is a private method of GUI of NSButtonCell which RikScrollerArrowCell subclasses.

Being private and not protected, it is not exposed nor should it be accessible. A method not found is supposed to return "id", which is not compatible with GSThemeControlState.

either it is wrong that the subclass directly calls the theme DrawPathButton for which it needs to know the GSThemeControlState and this drawing should happen differently, so that the subclass shouldn't care about, or our API is too restrictive here.

Perhaps Fred and other GUI experts could chime in?

Riccardo

I do not know a quick solution for this, though.

OK, thanks for your quick answer. I don't see any either, but I could try to modify NSButtonCell.h locally to have this method public. Maybe I need more help. Netherletheless, it doesn't explain why clang don't throw an error here. And I've got several warnings of this kind when compiling rik.theme. I suspect this is'nt the only private method that has be used is the rest of the code.

Bertrand