Re: RRC filter understanding

From: Michael Carosino
Subject: Re: RRC filter understanding
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 10:56:05 -0700

Yes there will be a difference, the RRC filter block is just a wrapper for a call to firdes to design an RRC with the specified sampling rate/symbol rate/excess bandwidth/ntap. The designed taps are then used in a fir filter block whose decimation or interpolation is determined by the field you provide. So If you put in the parameters you mentioned, you'd have designed a 4 Sample/symbol RRC and stuck it into a FIR filter doing 128x interpolation (128x zero insertion followed by filtering using your RRC) - this is probably not what you wanted. In most cases I'd agree you want the interp to match your SPS. I can imagine some usecases where you'd want to filter received data without downsampling it which this block allows you to do but I'm blanking on other uses for this functionality.