Re: installing from PPA gnuradio 3.9 under Ubuntu 18.04 : libvolk depend

From: Josh
Subject: Re: installing from PPA gnuradio 3.9 under Ubuntu 18.04 : libvolk dependence issue
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 09:36:50 -0500

Christophe,

There are some dependencies I have not yet sorted out in the PPA for Ubuntu 18.04 which is why 3.9 is only readily available for 20.04.  Namely volk - in the cmake for gnuradio, the min version of volk is 2.4.1 which is not packaged for Ubuntu.  The way I have approached volk to this point in the PPA is just backporting the amazing work that @mait does for Debian.  But since Ubuntu (and especially the previous release of Ubuntu) stays a bit behind Debian, it makes it more difficult to just backport packages over.  For volk, 2.4.1 introduced a dependence on libcpufeatures which does not backport directly.  Are you able to have your students work on 20.04?

To get 3.9 packaged for 18.04 I think would require packaging volk (rather than just copying it over) which is possible, just work that I haven't had time to do.

Improving the ability to install GNU Radio through package managers is one of the key areas we want to focus on in the near future (and Ubuntu is a big part of that), so if anyone in the community is interested in getting involved to help out on this front, please let me know!

Thanks,
Josh