Re: finding my cell phone signal in the spectrum

From: John Byrne
Subject: Re: finding my cell phone signal in the spectrum
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 20:49:25 -0500

Thanks, that's helpful to know. It looks like the channel numbers quoted in some sources (including kalibrate) are the same as the ARFCN numbers.

I just realized I made a big mistake in my measurement earlier. I saw that the channel looked like about 200Khz, and I had read that this is what 2G uses. And since the channels seem to be spaced by that amount it made sense. But then I noticed that changing the bandwidth of my QT sinks didn't scale the signal the way I expected. It turns out I didn't realize that you need to set the "bandwidth" setting to your sample rate, and instead thought I could set it to the width I want to see within the 20Mhz limit of the hardware. Having corrected that, the signal now shows as 5Mhz. And wouldn't you know it, now that I know where it is, I can easily spot it using QSpectrumanalyzer, even on a full sweep from 1Mhz to 6Ghz. Don't know why I couldn't see it before!