Problems with the constellation decoder block

From: Thomas Lorblanchès
Subject: Problems with the constellation decoder block
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 10:51:04 +0000

Hi all,

I have some problems using the constellation receiver block (GnuRadio 3.7.13.4
on Debian 10).
I have the following very simple flowgraph:
Constant source (value: 1-1j), a throttle block, a constellation decoder, a
"char to float" block and then a QT GUI Time Sink block.
The constellation object used by the constellation decoder is configured with:
* Constellation type: Variable constellation
* Symbol map: [0,1,3,2]
* Constellation points: [-1-j,-1+1j,1+1j,1-1j]
* Rotational Symmetry: 4
* Dimensionality: 1

With such configuration, I would expect that the output of the constellation
decoder is 2 (because constellation point 1-1j is mapped to the value 2).
However, it is 3!?! I can change the "symbol map" all the way I want, the
output is always 3, even with symbol map = [4,5,6,7].
Is there something I don't understand about how the constellation decoder block
works?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Thomas