Re: USB communication

From: Fons Adriaensen
Subject: Re: USB communication
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2020 18:23:45 +0200

On Sun, Oct 04, 2020 at 11:11:33AM -0400, Elmore's wrote:

> Simple question: How do I use USB communication in gnuradio?
> I can’t find any blocks that implement USB. I can’t find any reference to USB.
> I can’t find any discussion about USB on forums.
> There must be a way to implement one of the most common means of
> communication in the computer world.

> What am I missing?

A basic understanding of what USB actually is.

The low level USB protocol is never used by applications.

It is used by people who write drivers for a particular USB device,
or for standard classes of USB devices like serial ports, keyboards,
sound cards, external disks, etc. The latter are actually part of
the operating system.

Applications only interface to the driver layer, not to the USB
hardware directly. For example if an app wants to send or receive
data on a serial interface, it will use e.g. COM1 (on Windows) or
/dev/ttyS1 (on Linux). The app doesn't even know nor need to know
if this is a USB device or not. Same for all other USB devices.

Ciao,

--
FA