Re: Problem with porting an OOT module to 3.8 (sampling speed)

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Problem with porting an OOT module to 3.8 (sampling speed)
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 16:30:38 +0200

Hi Wojciech,

On 02.10.20 15:51, Wojciech Kazubski wrote:
> I suppose that in 3.8 the source block has to signal required sample rate to
> GR runtime. Is this correct?

No, that's not correct. The runtime doesn't care about required rates at
all. It just makes blocks produce items as fast as they can.

> How to fix the code?

Good question! Unless you're doing something *very* specific in your
code, I'd honestly blame this on a bug that was introduced during
porting – but I might be wrong.

Two very common tools to investigate this are rather simple:

1. htop (a `top`-alike program with a bit better visualization), with
thread names enabled – that way you can see which block occupies the CPU
the most, because all blocks run in their own thread
2. `perf` (especially, `perf top -a`), which allows you to sample in
which function your CPU cores are most often. That way, you can identify
functions that might be the blockers there.

Best regards,