Re: Sample Rate & Hardware Considerations Tutorial: GNURadio.org

From: Barry Duggan
Subject: Re: Sample Rate & Hardware Considerations Tutorial: GNURadio.org
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 12:24:49 -0500

James,

Thank you for your comments on our documentation! I started working on the docs last year including adding flowgraphs to the block docs and updating the tutorials to rel 3.8. The https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/Guided_Tutorial_Hardware_Considerations is one which has been updated recently, but I didn't have the hardware to test it. (I will next week).

So, for question 1: that tutorial was written several years ago. I don't know why that sample rate was chosen, but some older computers have trouble with high sample rates. Actually the broadcast FM signal in the US is 200kHz with all the SCA, etc. but the minimum for stereo is less. If you look at the flowgraph for https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/WBFM_Receive I use 192kHz because that is the rate for a FunCube Pro+.

For question 2: In the tutorial https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/Guided_Tutorial_Hardware_Considerations#A_Working_Software_Radio_Broadcast_FM_Receiver there is no multiplier, so I am guessing that you are looking at https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/WBFM_Receive where the multiply block is the volume control.

You said "In your (Barry Duggan's) example the multiplier helped to remove his static". Can you tell me which of my examples you are referring to?

Best regards,
--
Barry Duggan KV4FV