Issues with gnuradio paths and syntax errors

From: Sarah Rogers
Subject: Issues with gnuradio paths and syntax errors
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 00:24:31 -0700

Hello,

I'm having some issues using gnuradio with python programs. I am trying to use gnuradio with gr-satellites' python programs to decode packets from CubeSats. When I try to run a python file, I receive the following output

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "taurus1_telemetry_parser.py", line 23, in <module>
    from gnuradio import gr
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/gnuradio/gr/__init__.py", line 39, in <module>
    from .runtime_swig import *
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/gnuradio/gr/runtime_swig.py", line 117
    def value(self) -> "PyObject *":
                    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I have read that syntax errors result from different python versions, but I am also wondering if this might be the result of something else. I first tried investigating the syntax error, but when I didn't find anything, I became sucked into the black hole that is my potential issue below.

I received the syntax error after editing my bash.rc file to include the path to the python3 library where the gnuradio folder is contained. In the process of investigating the path issue, it appeared that I didn't have all of the path dependencies that people normally do for running gnuradio with python. I'm not sure if this issue and my syntax error are related, so I thought I would inquire on here.

The following command is in my bashrc file:

export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages

as reference, you can see that `/python3/dist-packages` contains gnuradio, along with a few other folders

WorkStation-T5500:/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages$ ls
gnuradio  pmt  satellites  volk_modtool

In addition, the gnuradio folder contains the following:
image.png

However, based on the following references for installing gnuradio, it seems that I am missing the paths to gnuradio/lib and gnuradio/bin. I have not been able to find information that will allow me to fix this. Based on posts that I have read with similar questions as mine, I thought this may be one issue with my setup, but I could also be misinterpreting something.

[Ref 1 (Ghithub) ](https://github.com/gnuberries/raspberry-radio/wiki/GNU-Radio-Installation-Instructions-(for-desktop-or-notebook))

[Ref 2 (lists.gnu.org)](https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2016-08/msg00017.html)

I installed gnuradio through ppa, as well as pybombs. Do you think the missing paths could be the source of my issue, or are there actually multiple issues here? If so, would it be better to just delete gnuradio entirely and try to install it fresh using pybombs?

Thank you for any advice you may have here. I'm still getting used to linux and solving installation issues in general, so please let me know if I can clarify anything further.

~Sarah