Re: GNURadio with Python 3 for Windows

From: Geof Nieboer
Subject: Re: GNURadio with Python 3 for Windows
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 16:09:15 -0500

Roman,

1.: No, there is not currently a precompiled version w/ Py3

2.: Not relatively easily.  The scripts that create the pre-compiled
version build py2.7 from source, and also pull in the entire
dependency chain, and many have to be custom-compiled.  So a lot of
the build process will have to change.  But it *is* possible, and the
final result will be a simpler build process, but getting there might
be moderately difficult, depending on your CMake / Powershell
experience.

3.: I'm sure there are options here depending on what the role of your
custom code is.  Run the code in two separate processes, and set up
sockets between them would be an example.

So my plan for the installers is, to wait for 3.8 OOT blocks to get a
bit more stable (which is happening nicely now I think), and
re-release a final gr3.8-py2.7 version. Then convert the scripts to
py3 for good.  However, since this is a part-time hobby on my part, I
will not even attempt to put a timeline to it.

Geof