Re: gr-gsm make issue with osmosdr module

From: Vasil Velichkov
Subject: Re: gr-gsm make issue with osmosdr module
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 18:55:08 +0200

Hi Martin,

On 19/11/2019 17.21, Martin Spears wrote:
> I am trying to make gr-gsm I do believe I have all the nessesary support
> libraries:
>
> using :
>
> https://osmocom.org/projects/gr-gsm/wiki/Installation
> Installation - gr-gsm - Open Source Mobile
> Communications<https://osmocom.org/projects/gr-gsm/wiki/Installation>
> Installation¶ There are many ways to install gr-gsm: . Manual compilation and
> installation; Installation from distribution's packages; Compilation and
> installation with use of Pybombs installation manager
> osmocom.org
> as my starting point.
> make output:
> [ 73%] Generating grgsm_livemon
> <<< Welcome to GNU Radio Companion Compiler 3.8.0.0 >>>

So you are using gnuradio 3.8, how did you installed it - manually, pybombs or
from the gnuradio's PPA?
Which gr-gsm version are you trying to compile and from which git
repository/branch?

The gr-gsm's master branch still does not support gnuradio 3.8. We are working
on porting it in https://github.com/ptrkrysik/gr-gsm/issues/475
For now you need to checkout and build the `maint-3.8` branch from my fork -
https://github.com/velichkov/gr-gsm/tree/maint-3.8

> Block paths:
> /home/martin/.grc_gnuradio
> /home/martin/src/gr-gsm/grc
> /usr/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks
> /usr/local/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/home/martin/src/gr-gsm/python/grgsm/__init__.py", line 64, in
> <module>
>     from .device import *
>   File "/home/martin/src/gr-gsm/python/grgsm/misc_utils/device.py", line 24,
> in <module>
>     import osmosdr
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'osmosdr'

How did you install gr-osmosdr?

Note that gr-osmosdr from the bionic's apt repository does not support gnuradio
3.8 so you need to install it manually from one of the forks -
https://github.com/igorauad/gr-osmosdr/tree/gr3.8 Also note that having
multiple versions (one from the apt repo in /usr and second one installed
manually in /usr/local) could lead to many hard to investigate problems. So if
you want to use gnuradio 3.8 my advice is to remove all gnuradio and gr-osmosdr
packages installed from the bionic's apt repository.

The manual installation of gr-omosdr will place it's python files in
/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/ and this path is not in the default
search paths so you w need to add it to your PYTHONPATH

    export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/:$PYTHONPATH

See also https://github.com/ptrkrysik/gr-gsm/issues/480

P.S.
In the future you may post gr-gsm related questions to the gr-gsm's mailing
list as well https://github.com/ptrkrysik/gr-gsm/#mailing-list

Regards,
Vasil