[Discuss-gnuradio] Question about metadata filesink

From: Ellie White
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about metadata filesink
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 14:54:55 -0400

Hello!

I am working on a radio astronomy project with the Green Bank
Observatory / NRAO Central Development Lab this summer, utilizing GNU
Radio and an Ettus Research SDR, and I've got a question regarding how
to collect metadata information from a filesink.

I have attached the flowgraph I am using to this email. The project
requires that I use two computers in tandem for data collection -- one
is connected to the Ettus -- it is the TCP server, and sends an
interleaved data stream to the TCP client flowgraph (attached) on the
machine which will be storing the data. As you can see, I am saving
integrated spectra to a file. My question is simply, how do I retrieve
a time stamp corresponding to each spectra using the metadata time
sink? I have been fiddling with this all afternoon attempting to get
it to work properly, and I have been able to save data to a file, read
out spectra (using attached Python program), and display header
information using the command gr_read_file_metadata in the terminal,
but this is just showing me a timestamp for the beginning of the data
collection run, rather than showing me timestamps for each spectrum
which is saved to file, and I am not sure how to implement this.

Any advice would be much appreciated! If I can provide any more info
about my system or what steps I have tried, please let me know. Thank
you so much for your time -- have a good afternoon!

Best,
Ellie