discuss-gnu-electric

Re: Problem editing mocmos technology

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: Problem editing mocmos technology
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 09:49:54 -0800

At 01:22 PM 12/26/2008, you wrote:
Hello,
I last used Electric in 2003. I've downloaded the latest version 8.08 and tried to create my own technology by editing the mocmos one.
   I found that the sequence "Convert Technology to
Library for Editing..." followed immediately by "Convert Library to Technology..." fails, even without any edits being made.

The issue here is that the MOSIS CMOS technology is too complex to edit completely. The good news is that the two objects that are too complex are not necessary. So after converting "mocmos" to a library, you must delete the two cells that define the "scalable" transistors: "node-P-Transistor-Scalable" and "node-N-Transistor-Scalable". Then you will be able to convert the library back to a technology.

I downloaded version 8.07, but was unable to open the two libs I was trying. These are the dff_cells and muddLib07 libs from the web site. The error is shown below.

  Fri Dec 26 20:25:17 GMT 2008
java.lang.AssertionError
        at com.sun.electric.tool.user.User.getAlignmentToGrid(User.java:1449)

Is there an easy solution to this problem? As I remember, back in 2003 I failed to make my own technology and had to go elsewhere. The program is looking really good now and I'd like to try it out some more.

I cannot say for sure why old libraries fail to read. Electric is *supposed* to be completely backwards-compatible. If you would like to send a bad library to me, I can examine it further.

    -Steven Rubin