discuss-gnu-electric

Re: Window Electric Start-up

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: Window Electric Start-up
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 17:12:58 -0700

At 04:43 PM 10/8/2006, you wrote:
In the MicroSoft XP (home edition) window command line I type

C:> java -jar electric-8.04.jar

(I get no Electric Window, instead a message;)

Current Java memory limit of 66MEG is too small, rerunning Electric with memory limit of 2000MEG

I have ~1gig of memory in this computer (max this motherboard takes) and I use jdk-1_5_0_09-rb-5_0-win-ml.exe

Any solutions? Is there a way to change the memory limit to 1000MEG?

Electric runs inside of the Java virtual machine, and the JVM limits the amount of memory that it will consume for various reasons. At startup, Electric detects this limit (which defaults to 66 meg) and realizes that it needs more. In order to do this, it actually starts a new JVM with the proper memory limitation and exits the current one. If you don't see anything further, then it has somehow failed to start the new JVM.

A simple workaround to this situation is to give the original JVM the right amount of memory on the command line with something like:

    java -jar electric-8.04.jar -mx2000m

Which requests 2000 meg of memory.

Note that for some Windows systems, 2 gigabytes is too high and will not work. I recommend 1.5Gig.

    -Steven Rubin