discuss-gnu-electric

Re: non-manhattan wiring at the layout level

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: non-manhattan wiring at the layout level
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:48:40 -0700

At 08:30 PM 10/27/2005, you wrote:
Hello,

I'm modifying Electric for use with new design technologies. This includes the use of non-manhattan wiring and I've run into two main problems that I'm having difficulty working around.

1. arc creation assumes manhattan layout
Once I've created the arc at a multiple of 90 degrees, I can move the end around and the arc will remain in any angle I choose. However, it would be preferable if I could create it at the angle I chose from the start.

This is a bug in version 8.02 that is fixed in 8.03. The new release will probably be available in a few weeks.

2. node creation occurs at odd locations and does not always work as a result.
Once I have overlapping arcs where both are at an angle, the location the tool decides to create a contact node or other more or less complex node, it places them in odd locations and doesn't seem to actually connect them either. It always works if I place the connecting node around the head or tail of the arc but since I cannot reliably create a pin node where I want, or at all in most cases, placing it anywhere else on the arc fails so long as the arc is at an odd angle. If the arc is at a manhattan angle I have no difficulty and can then move the contact around and the wires angle themselves as needed.

I think this is the same bug, but I cannot be sure from your description. If you can give me a precise description of what you are doing, I can try to reproduce the problem.

It would also be useful if I could disable lambda rules and lambda grid placement for certain nodes and arcs.

You can disable gridding for all design by using the "Alignment" section of the "Grid" preferences.

-Steven Rubin