discuss-gnu-electric

Re: Built in Electric simulator

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: Built in Electric simulator
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:54:42 -0700

Can we rely on the result of the simulation in
Electric. I simulate one circuit in which I used a
reset gate to clear my flip-flop. When a signal from
flip-flop trigger the input of the reset gate, the
output oscilate continously. I have done the same
circuit using Pspice, but there's nothing wrong with
it.

Same also for the timing produced by the built-in
simulator which is far from my prediction.

The built-in simulator that comes with GNU Electric is called ALS and is largely untested. I would not be surprised if it was wrong. Also, the timing that is in it (which users can edit) are for old processes and so are certainly not correct.

The alternate built-in simulator (available from SFS for a free download) is IRSIM, which is much more reliable. I recommend it.

   -Steven Rubin