discuss-gnu-electric

Got fpga technology code?

From: Dr. Vitit Kantabutra
Subject: Got fpga technology code?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 17:11:42 -0600

I used to design Atmel fpga circuits using Atmel's software.  Unfortunately, the
new version of that has nothing but place-and-route.  So I discovered Electric.
Although I just finished compiling it for Linux, I don't really know how to use
it yet.  I find the concepts on which Electric is based to be really neat!  I
will probably end up using it for custom layouts as well in the future.

In the short term, though, I'd like to start designing fpga circuits right
away.  Unfortunately, Electric's fpga technology requires the user to know the
particular fpga's intimately and also be able to write technology code.  I don't
nearly know enough to do that.  Does anyone out there have pre-written code for
some popular fpgas, such as the Atmel AT40 family?  My colleagues and I have
come up with a new type of binary adders which have proven to be very fast and
small when using standard cells, and I now would like to know how our adders do
in fpga technologies.

Also, if any of you out there are interested in our fast, low area/low power
adders, you may download the paper at
http://www.ssgrr.it/en/ssgrr2000/papers/135.pdf