discuss-gnu-electric

GdsII text and unrouted wires

From: Steve Hamilton
Subject: GdsII text and unrouted wires
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 19:33:09 -0700

I have 2 unrelated questions i am hoping i can get some help on.

1-  I have been trying without success to get text added to
     GDS2 output.  I am trying to transfer designs to a system
     that is gds2 only, and that does not have LEF import capability.
     The ports on my facets do not show up with text when i export as
     gdsii and then re-import.  I did turn on the foreign file option for
     include text in import.  Likewise when i add text to facet and then
     export- import it does not show.   Am i missing a switch somewhere?
     I gotta believe i am not the first person who ever needed text in the
     gdsii.

2-  I don't get "unrouted wires" .  Where do they come from ? How do
    i create them?  If i import the readable dump file samples.txt and
    open the tool-RoutingMaze facet i see a few examples.  They let
    me use the router to create layout connections.  The seems like
    it would be very useful for "schematic driven layout" and (vhdl)
    "netlist driven layout" operations.  But i have no clue how to start
    that process.

    Basically i have a design (vhdl - quic) with 2 modules.  I have used
    electric to create a standard cell (silicon compiler) layout for each
    of the modules.  Now i would like to avoid a tedious manual process
    of interconnectiong the two in the parent (for which i already have a
     netlist).

Thanks in advance.

Innovative Semiconductors, Inc.
(e-mail) address@hidden