directvnc-user

[Directvnc-user] seashell

From: John Russell
Subject: [Directvnc-user] seashell
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:32:07 +0200

Is it a lucrative and growing market? Why are folks so tentative?
For an old DBA, a new book combines the thrill of baseball season with the efficacy of databases, and I like that! Wouldn't it be in your best interest as a DBA if your job were better understood and appreciated? But they're not always wrong. The more we try to keep accurate records in database systems, the more it seems that at least some of that data is just plain wrong.
This blog entry offers a short list of books that belong on every computer professional's book shelf. The tools are all open-source software available for download and the techniques all use open-source software and off-the-shelf hardware components. However, some who think they understand the basics might actually have less of a firm grip on the topic than they think.
For an old DBA, a new book combines the thrill of baseball season with the efficacy of databases, and I like that! I don't mind if folks e-mail me, but I can't always get around to responding to everyone who e-mails. I'll try to tackle some of the more popular standards that should be done away with. At least that seems to be the case in terms of comments posted. And it looks like it is going to be a good one.
Why are folks so tentative?
The more we try to keep accurate records in database systems, the more it seems that at least some of that data is just plain wrong.
he might write a book like "The Art of SQL".
You can't just master one thing and be successful in this day-and-age. The combination of object-level caching and log-structured storage permits fine-grain latching and record-level locking for highly concurrent applications. One type of rootkit is a kernel-level rootkit, which will patch running kernel code with untrusted kernel code.
And Ron Ben Natan's new book on database security and auditing merits your attention.
The event is trying something unique this year with a conference wiki.
This blog entry offers a short list of books that belong on every computer professional's book shelf.
Almost every DBA group keeps a database standards manual - but most do not keep it up-to-date.
But they're not always wrong. So here is another one.
wonder what I think of that?