[Dfey-nw-discuss] TODAY: Digital Economy Bill Flashmob, 5pm [Manchester]

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Dfey-nw-discuss] TODAY: Digital Economy Bill Flashmob, 5pm [Manchester]
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 02:45:42 +0100

Whilst the practicalities of the Digital Economy Bill, may seem like a complete joke, sadly this email is no April Fools Prank.

As you may be aware, the Digital Economy Bill is a piece of legislation which, if put through, would have quite serious implications for Digital Industries.

What is the Digital Economy Bill?
---------------------------------
Whilst billed a law about preventing copyright infringement, the bill has far reaching powers, allowing the government to block websites, (social networks, wikileaks, wikipedia), at will and changing one of the basis's of UK common law in assuming you guilty until proven innocent.

THe bit I find particularly unhelpful the segment that holds the subscriber of the internet service liable for all activies on that line. This is essentially the death of open wifi in cafes and bars - its just unworkable if you are liable for the actions of your patrons.

Why are we protesting?
----------------------
The DEB has been written at the behest of the media industry (some clauses were actually written by the BPI) with absolutely no regard for anybody else.

Furthermore, not only is this bill flawed, it is being rushed through parliament without debate using a process known as "wash up", which was intended for use on uncontroversial bills.

If you're coming to the flashmob then sign up to get a "ticket" on EventBrite so we can let you know the exact location of the flashmob shortly before it begins!

http://debflashmobmanchester.eventbrite.com/

We'll have plenty of flyers so just bring yourself and something to censor yourself with but we'll be providing black tape in case you can't.

I'm sorry it has got to this stage, however I hope you'll join me there,

Thanks,

Tim Dobson

--
PPUK PPC for Manchester Gorton