Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Idea for slaughter: techweek

From: Paul Sutton
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Idea for slaughter: techweek
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 19:48:59 +0000

Tim Dobson wrote:
> [...]
> to fill rather than an issue.
>
> I was thinking of suggesting that "techweek" as I have named the event
> for the time being, should be 5 days long or possibly 5 with somesort of
> awards ceremony or event on the 6th day.
>
> It could,possibly be a bit like Young Rewired State where everyone
> chooses areas of interest, self organises into groups and hacks on a
> project, it could be different.
>
> It could be more skills orientated with different workshops each day
> aimed to teach everyone a set group of skills. We need to beware with
> this of it feeling too much like a lesson.
>
> It could be cool to have a *short* talk and discussion with an inspiring
> (freedom-aware) person whose done something noteworthy & relevant each
> evening.
>
> I'm not sure whether it would be practical or not, but I was thinking it
> could be cool to structure the week a bit like Scrum
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28development%29 )
>
> I'm not really sure how this bit could or should work at all, so ideas
> of all kinds would be appreciated!
>
> ## Mentoring ##
>
> There should be experienced and friendly advice always to hand whatever
> the event is centered around.
>
> I'm not sure it matters whether the mentors are outspoken advocates of
> free technologies so long as the event and what the mentors are
> mentoring about is focused in the right direction.
> Ie. If a mac centric, iphone developer can help someone write & compile
> C on KDE, and if they aren't outspoken against free technologies, I
> would suggest there is no issue with them providingg mentoring.
>
> I think that if we asked reasonable things, the technology community
> would rise to the challenge and volenteer their time.
>
> ## Marketing ##
>
> It's crucial that it sounds attractive to parents AND young people. Both
> of these groups have different ideas of what sounds attractive.
>
> If we were to assume that the parents had no concept of what free
> technologies were and indeed, did not NEED to know, but still wanted to
> send their technologically minded daughter or son, then we would be on a
> winner.
>
> It's perhaps unlikely that the yooung people I was thinking of targeting
> have a *good* idea of what free technologies are either, so it has to
> sound fun and exciting from a youth perspective, (not just from a free
> software "its good that we do this, just no-one turns up" perspective).
>
> ## Logistics & finance ##
>
> Worry about these later. We can deal with these problems when it comes
> to them.
> Until we know what we need to get, there's no point wasting time looking.
>
> ## Health & Safety ##
>
> I'm passing over this for the time being - it's a matter of making sure
> you can tick all the boxes. Once we know what we're doing we look at
> what boxes we need to tick and how we can tick them.

CRB Cheks and from July this year all staff or new staff will need to be
registered with the ISA,  however i just got a crb through and it now
runs the checks against the new lists,  (waste of time really I am clean :)

> ---------------
>
> I do apologise for this email not being laid out in the most logical
> coherent manner, it's a shame I don't have thoughts that present
> themselves in logical, coherent manners.
>
> I'd just like to re-iterate again, this is simply an idea in progress -
> not a commitment to try and make whatever we come up with happen at all
> so I'd really appreciate it if people didn't suggest that I might be
> running an event like this or circulate this email to other lists. :)
>
> All and any feedback appreciated. :)
>
> Tim

Sounds a good idea,  you may want to get some advice from people like
BUNAC - British University north America club, as they send people over
to US summer camps, some of which are technology related, I think US
students can come over and work here, so if you fancy some guys from
caltech or MIT teaching its probably do-able :)

I know a few camps here offer computers here as an option but that is
part of   a range of subjects,  its a good idea to offer more than just
computers,  or at least have sports as part of the camp. partly as after
a days coding people may want to relax,  and do something less thinking
intensive.

Perhaps YMCA would be able to do something, again you need to convince
them what Free software is first, I have had Zero luck with my local
YMCA :( all i want to do is promote dfey to the young people using them.

I worked on a summer camp and the format is great (worked at one in
canada).,  lots of fun, i was just maintenance staff as my visa didn't
cover working with kids,  so was fixing stuff around the camp,  getting
food orders, going to the local dump with garbage, (they have bears at
the dump btw), etc.  so just as fun,

I think camps here may teach things like animation etc,  again probably
using expensive proprietary software.

not sure about programming, perhaps visual basic and web design using
dreamweaver,

if you want to teach using a text editor and hand coded html/php/css
that is different.  geting people to do that is gonna be harder, unless
we teach each other and just have adults on hand to supervise and help
(but they need to know their stuff but think they are super know it alls)

anyway I would think it would be a good idea,  and a good way to promote
free software

this is a uk based camp they don't do computers though

http://www.supercamps.co.uk/activities/index.asp?ID=2

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
DCGLUG MEETINGS - Details on www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6,  - please click
on Group meetings link on right hand side
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details